Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Barbara's Experience

My experience has been tainted with disappointments but still it was wonderful and I am certainly glad that I did what I did.
First, my hike to base camp on the Tibetan side of the mountain was cancelled just before I left Canada.
Second, the guide I was supposed to hike with, Dan Mazur who is famous for rescuing Lincoln Hall in 2006, fell and broke his leg in 2 places 2 days prior to my departure.
Third, I was unable to spend as much time with the family or climb as high as I had hoped because of my injury.
On a positive note:
I met great people from all over the world and had some fascinating conversations
I climbed to Everest base camp at 5,380m/17,700 ft. saw the hustle and bustle of tents being set up, prayer flags flying and the famous Khumbu Icefall.
I climbed to Kala Pattar at 5,545m/18, 187 ft. where you get the first view of the summit of Mt. Everest and views of all the high 8000 meter peaks around Everest.
I climbed over 5700m/18,700 ft. in the dark with a torn Achilles tendon on Island Peak deciding to turn back when the climbing became too technical for me to trust my injury.
I experienced a new 3rd world country & learnt a lot about the Hindus & the Buddhists of Nepal and how they live and interact.
I also learnt first hand how super powers like China control smaller poorer nations like Nepal.
I learnt that I can survive on a mountain and in a 3rd world country on my own.

My injury was an accident. I stepped on a flat stone that was much like a teeter totter while crossing a river, my heel dropped down and I tore my Achilles. I had it bandaged and then I tore the muscle attached to the Achilles when I fell hiking down from Island Peak. The next few days were a real challenge for me both physically and mentally. The group I was with was hiking down off the mountain and I was hiking on my own with my porter Dawa to meet the family in Pheriche. What should have taken 3-4 hours took me 8 hours. The next day I met the family and saw the doctor. They hiked up and I hiked down.

3 comments:

markmusico said...

Barbara, I think your posts are adding tremendous perspective to this challenge that engages you and your family. You continue to be very much a part of the team. As a spouse, mother and courageous cheerleader, you are a pivotal link to their success, rallying the positive energy of family, friends and supporters through this website. And our prayers are with you that in the next couple of days they will be on their way down, with a profound sense of what it's really like at the top of the world.
Mark and Heather.

Anonymous said...

Barbara,
I know how difficult it is to get around with an injury in that area. I applaud the guts it takes to push on with that type of injury. In the fall of 2006 I dislocated my shoulder going through Cho la pass and had to walk 5 hours to Pheriche to get it reset. I know how tough it is at altitude!

Anonymous said...

All the best in your summit bid from everyone at Off The Wall Climbing in Barrie. It's all about learning your personal limits and how far you can push them... : )
Lots of love from home!
Peter & the OTW gang