Saturday, May 3, 2008

Best, worst, most interesting teahouse

The most luxurious teahouse I stayed in was at Pheriche. For dinner they gave you a hot towel to wash your face and hands, had candles on the tables, and provided you with cloth napkins. The food was also exceptionally good. There was a plastic sit down toilet that you could put over the squat toilet and a sunroom outside to sit in and read in the afternoon.
The worst teahouse was at Lobuche. The dining room was crowded, smoky, had no windows and mice ran over your feet at night.
The most interesting teahouse was in Pangboche. It was painted pink with a centre courtyard. My room was on the end with beautiful views of two mountains. After supper I was walking back to my room at night and the whole courtyard filled up with yaks returning from their day of hauling supplies. I watched as a man and woman carefully removed their gear and tethered them to a rope just outside my window for the night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this luxury or what? M. and E.

Anonymous said...

ru in contact with your family at all?